Accounts for new users
New users will normally receive accounts on several services. Some of the services are run by the Information and Computing Services (ICS) group in the Engineering Department; and some are run by the University Information Services (UIS). You will receive access to some or all of:
- Central Computing System, also known as the Teaching System.
- Office PCs (staff and postgraduates)
- Lab PCs
- Personal and shared networked file spaces
- The Department gateway systems (gate.eng.cam.ac.uk)
- The Dyson Centre workstations
Most UIS services use a single common password. The most commonly accessed services are:
- Raven – University-wide authentication service.
- Hermes or Exchange email systems
- Eduroam WiFi
Over the summer of 2021, the UIS is implementing ‘multi-factor authentication’ for some of its services, and it will be rolled out to all users by the beginning of October 2021.
It is increasingly important to understand cyber security risks and to stay safe. See information on cyber security, guidelines and best practice.
Please see the relevant pages for further information on obtaining, extending or closing an account, and on eligibility for accounts.