Rules on Computing in the Department
The use of computers in the Department is governed by various Departmental Rules, approved by the Department Council, covering:
- General Rules and Guidelines (all users should read at least this)
- Network rules which apply to all systems attached to the Department’s network
- Email Rules
- Web Server and Web Page rules
- Software Licensing and Licence Record Keeping
- Copyright Rules
- Central Computing System restrictions, eg during timetabled classes;
- Administrative Access Policy
The Department’s computer systems are also covered by the University’s rules and by national rules and laws:
- UIS policies and guidelines, including the rules governing the use of the University’s Data Network (CUDN)
- The use of the national network JANET.
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) – contact the Department’s Data Protection Officer for more information.
- Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000. (See the Administrative Access Policy).
- There are also UIS rules and guidelines on many of these topics as applied to their systems.
Note that the University has a policy on “whistle-blowing” which you may find helpful if you become aware of someone else misusing our computer systems.