Mailing lists are usually used to send a single message to a group of people, for example staff lists for research groups or division and student lists for courses. A list name is typically several words linked together using hyphens; this naming scheme ensures related lists are grouped together.
The department makes use of the mailing list system run by UIS, further details of which can be found here. For lists run by the Engineering Department using the lists.cam.ac.uk system we always provide an address within @eng.cam.ac.uk which points to the lists.cam.ac.uk address – for example firstname.lastname@example.org can also be reached using email@example.com.
Using Mailing Lists – If you wish to contact a group of people and are not sure if they have a mailing list please contact the group or divisional administrator or the IT Helpdesk for advice.
- Sending messages to lists – You should only send relevant material to a mailing list – sending irrelevant material is likely to breach the UIS Rules and Guidelines on Bulk Email
- Subscribing and unsubscribing from lists
- Running Mailing Lists
Applying for new lists – If you would like to set up a mailing list for use in the Engineering Department, then please contact postmaster-query to discuss your requirements. Please do not contact UIS directly. There are various bits of information we require in order to set it up so it would be helpful if you can provide the following:
- The Name you would like for your list.
- A Brief Description of the purpose of the list.
- An idea of who will be allowed to send messages to the list (it’s security status).
- A list of Managers who will run the list on a day to day basis.
- The Visibility of the list (whether the list membership is Public or Private).
We will then apply to UIS for the mailing list(s) on your behalf and make any initial adjustments to the list configuration. We will also set up the Engineering addresses to allow the list to be accessed either via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We will then let you know that your list is ready for you to start adding list members and then use.
If you require any further information on mailing list set-up or use, please contact the IT Helpdesk.